Thursday, May 5, 2011

Missing Family

Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there.

I've been thinking about mine. As hard as it has been for me to be my liberal, artsy-fartsy, odd-ball, different self in my times and places it must have been horrific for mother. She had neither the liberalness of times nor the openness of place that I benefited from. I imagine she carried a weight a hundred times greater than mine with few resources or outlets for her spirit, creativity, openness, liberalness, and tolerance and that makes me sad, but it drives my admiration and love for her ever deeper and deeper. What a woman we had the pleasure of calling Mom. Thanks Mom for all you gave and more importantly all you left out.


So, like I said I'm missing family. It seems like it's time for some migratory travelers to show up on my doorstep. I heard about a Gum Wall at Pike Place Market that I have neglected to take all my visitors to, never heard of it until two days ago. Am I always the last to know? It is listed as the second "germyist" tourist attraction in the world, right after The Blarney Stone. So everyone has to come back to daub a glob on the Gum Wall.

Jerry and Jane are coming and I am excited, excited, excited. I asked Jerry if he wanted a foodie trip. a drive trip, or a film fest trip. And he answered "Yes." Jane I have picked your prize, will try to mail soon or present it to you when you arrive. What do you want to do? Try to give me two weeks so I can schedule some time off work without a lecture.

Speaking of work and my new four ten hour days. Monday is when I took my cut in pay and had to start street walking. Since our downtown parking privileges has been revoked my parking garage no longer tells me good morning and to have a nice day, I am street parking and walking.

When I had done a reconnaissance drive by a few weeks ago at 4:30 on a Sunday morning I drove past the man leaning out of his car vomiting onto the street right next to where I thought I would be parking. I guess his Saturday night wasn't over yet. I drove past the man walking in full regalia with his ten foot bow on his shoulders. A comic con was in town so I hope he was in character and not a downtown character I will have to meet too often.

My first day I pulled into the lot at the same time as another car did and this huge, bruiser of a man got out of his vehicle, instead of being scared like a sane old lady at 4:30 in the morning I tripped up to him and asked him to show me how to use the machine as I had never done it before. He did and it is a good thing too because my first time I goofed and he canceled it and then I did it right.

I'm just trying to be the real me, oh wait, I am the real me. There is just no escaping being who you are.

So, like I said I'm missing my family. Jean and Cathy and Brittany aren't going to fly by. Janice and Art aren't going to fly by. I'm hoping to get a glimpse of Julia, Tal, Nora and Andrew when they sail by. Jeff goes the other direction when he goes. Kathy and Mike are engaged in life. So, Jerry and Jane please hurry.

I adore my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment