Friday, April 15, 2016

Slow and Slower

Pesky Ian asked if I wanted to watch season two of Fargo before he returned it to the library. "It got good reviews" always a hook for me. Twelve hours later I emerged bleary eyed from binge watching. Now I know what "binge watching" is. Occasionally he would pop around the corner and ask "Do you like it?"

I kept answering "No" but I kept watching and watching and watching until the bitter end. Here is fair warning DON'T start watching Fargo season two. You will love parts, hate arts, be puzzled, entertained and horrified. It is smart, sweet, sad, funny, and gory -- evil Ian.

That folks is life in the slow lane.

Life in the slow lane is akin to greeting card wisdom
"Hope your day is blooming with love."
Or
"Love happens in the little moments."

To off set the inane-ness of Fargo I finished the book The Snow Leopard. A deeper wisdom, a slower lane. A book about a trek in the Himalayas. About writing, climbing, observing, thinking, and striving to get to a deeper understanding of Zen Buddhism.

These quotes made me wonder, ponder, go deeper into myself.
Thank you Mary for loaning me the book.

"I longed to let go, drift free of things, to accumulate less, depend on less to move more simply,"
"The perfect sound of voiceless wisdom."
"Something infinite behind everything appeared."
'I must entrust myself to life."

And my favorite from the book;
"The great sins: to pick wildflowers and threaten children."
Tibetan folklore?

Another quote; but I can't remember if it came from a greeting card or The Snow Leopard.
"It has taken me all of my life to get where I am now."

I am such an undisciplined me. I'm of an age where practically every one I know is clearing out their homes, their lives, their beliefs, striving for deeper wisdom, less encumbrances, while I watch Fargo and notate Facebook wisdom: I am a mermaid, a dragon, a tree, a warrior. "The hardest part of childhood is the first fifty years."

What I admire, undisciplined me that I am, is beliefs pass, time passes, heartache and ecstasy pass, but life goes on in a daily way. Those small moments. Small moments of love, kindness, peace, joy. I appreciate the deeper wisdom of everything from greeting cards to FB to The Snow Leopard.

~and~
Company is coming.

Brittany wants to go to Canada and see the famous Capilano Swinging Bridge. If you know of my fear of heights then you know I think she is an evil 20-something, sass with attitude. I'll take her, but I won't step foot on it.

Kathy Noland will be here Wednesday and we have that yurt trip planned. I'm collecting tea, and coffee, and wine, and Christian came through with sleeping bags and camp chairs, and I plan on sitting and slowing down just a little bit more.

I wanted to write deeply about fear, and passion, and prayer, and listening, but I'm too excited about Kathy's upcoming trip. Undisciplined, simple, small? Yes it is, and worthwhile, and lovely, and loving, and mundane, and life.

Facebook wisdom intrudes. This was in reference to running, but I think I will use it here,
"It doesn't get easier, you get stronger."
"Relentless forward motion."
Time passes, that's for sure.

That's life.

Last Snow Leopard quote:
This is at the bottom the only courage that is demanded of us: to have courage for the most strange, the most singular, and the most inexplicable that we may encounter. That mankind has in this sense been cowardly has done life endless harm; the experiences that are called "visions" the whole so-called "spirit world," death, all those things that are so closely akin to us, have by daily parrying been so crowded out of life that the senses with which we could have grasped them are atrophied. To say nothing of God.

May you have a slower day
And I wish Jean comfort and success and good news with her test today.

No comments:

Post a Comment