Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The New Year -- 2011

2011 -- so far so good.

I read where so far every day in 2011 in Seattle has been sunny and dry. Well, until today, the clouds have moved in. And cold.

I went shopping for Connor's birthday present for his party on Sunday, a big two years old, and found the biggest present, but since I love Roger and Stephanie equally well, it comes in a wee package so as not to take up the whole of the downstairs. I'm so smart.

I was talking to a customer today, and as often happens, he asked where I was located. When I said Seattle he said, "Great game, I'm so glad the Seahawks beat the Rams."

Was there a big game or something I missed?

Then he went on to inform me that the Mariners were going to get a great player in Brennan Ryan. Who is Brennan Ryan? Is football over? Did the Seahawks win? When does baseball start?

As we just read on Jean's blog, she and Cathy and Brittany are traveling on.

As is Jerry and Jane. Jerry sent me an email and included the books he has been reading, here it is in it's entirety.

Hello Jan,

What's going on in the land of Seattle. All is well here. Had another great Christmas, spent time with all the family, then have another New Year. Jordan stayed with Amber for a week while Blaine went to Kansas. Everyone got what they wanted at Christmas. That works out good when they make out there own lists. We were in Andover Christmas Eve, Then to Amber's on Christmas day, then everyone at our house on the 26th. Jeffery, Michael and Summer came to Amber's on the evening of the 25th and then to our house on the 26th. A good time was had by all.

Jane is still having a lot of trouble with her back. I got steroid shots in both knees. Helped a lot. Maybe stave off replacement for a while.

Planning a trip to Las Vegas from the 20th to 24th. We always enjoy going, even though we are going a little later than normal . Green leaf for Spring break. Andover and Edmond are different weeks, so Jane and I will have to suck it up and spend 2 weeks there.

Amber got me a Kindle for Christmas with a $30 a month budget. I have liked reading on it. Very clear and the print is BIG. I read a little book on her account before I got mine set up. I also downloaded "The Count of Monte Cristo". One of the 5 million or so free books. Maybe I can get through them before I die. Taylor got me the "Autobiography of Mark Twain" for Christmas so I have it started. The preface is 208 pages long and this is volume 1 of 3 volumes. I may not get IT read before I die. I have 2 books from the library started. I am reading them online. "Bound for Glory", the autobiography of Woody Guthrie and "Washington", a biography.

I have finished:
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" - I enjoyed this book.
"The Heretics Daughter" - Was the daughter a witch?
"Miss Marple" - A fun little Agatha Christie book of short stories.
"Empire of the Summer Moon / Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches" - As much as I enjoy history you know I would like this one.
"After the Darkness" - A book
"Free Range Kids" - An delightful book by the worlds worst mom.
"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" - I may have to read the next two.
"Waiting for Snow in Havana" - I don't know what to think of this book. Extreme rich and poor. A good reason for a revolution but the wrong leaders. They needed a George Washington. Was hugging the wrong way why dad kept Ernesto? around? A lot of thinking while reading that book.
"Cutting for Stone" - Checked it out but never got it read. Not interested enough to recheck.
"Kabal Beauty School" - Started but did not finish. Couldn't get into it.

Thats all for now
Lov Ya
Jerry & Jane


Me, I have read twenty-two pages of Earth Abides. I can't seem to get my reading swing back.

I have Connor's birthday party on the 9th,
pirate theme, although he will be two tomorrow.
A medical call for Claire on the 11th.
Book club on the 12th.
What a social life I lead.
Alas no trips, short or long, near or far, are planned for my future.
2011 has begun and I am ready for what ever it bring.

Sometimes life is a packed suitcase with no where to go -- yet.

1 comment:

  1. I held my first Kindle and so now I have an e-reader on my wish list . . . trying to hone it down between the wonderful Kindle and the really neat able to download from the local public library Sony. Will probably have one by the end of the year . . . they are cool. . .even though I still love the feel of books

    ReplyDelete