Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Great Big Fat Magical Universe of Jan

We want our magic to be memorable, we insist on the big epiphany explosions of color-lights-action and clarity while all the time magic is in the mundane, floating in the soft soup of the universe. The blade of grass growing. Dory Previn sung about it: Down where the iguanas play.

I am magical, I have been magical since I was three. What makes me magical is the willingness to accept without understanding. To let the divine, the eternal wash over me in all of it's mundaness. I haven't fit in since I was three, letting the world wash over you is different, odd. I couldn't conform enough to be a girl scout, a hippy or a PTA mom. Roger gave me a card once that said, " Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting." "The truth is that I don't profess any belief in any orthodox sense. It seems to me that the mystery of life is too great and too wide and too deep for us to do any thing more than wonder at it. Anything further would be, as far as I'm concerned, an impertinence." Thank you John Huston.

We live, we exist in a magical world.

I am magical in listening, receiving and appreciating. I am magical in the passionate belief that the world is unfolding as it should. What's not to love. We may not recognize this new world because it's not our world, it is changing, influx, in constant transition, in constant motion, but it is right and it is magical. Everything dies and something will renew, will fill it's place whether it's a blade of grass, a human being, a star or a universe. Now that's magic.

Sir Issac Newton wrote: I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself, I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier sea-shell than ordinary whilst the great ocean of truth lay all un-discovered before me.

Thank you Roger, John Huston, Dory Previn and Sir Issac Newton for teaching and sharing the world with me, now on to the magic of paper, feathers and angel's wings.

May Jean have a magical recovery and may you have some magic in your day.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful piece, umm I still have the copy of Sir Issac Newton quote you gave, and I still love it

    ReplyDelete