Friday, November 2, 2012

Spirit of The Taylor Family Reunion

Maddy needed long pants, Mike needed small minnows, Kathy needed chicken, Lynn needed diet Coke -- so off to town we went. And isn't that the way of our reunion. A lot of professional sitting and spurts of trips to town with a little fishing, walking, hay rides, biking, runs to Braggs for you know what, and miscellaneous other stuff.

I don't know how many books were read, tummies fed, or logs burned, but it was grand. No political discussions except Kathy is going to write in Willie Nelson because she can't vote for either candidate. Lynn's knee hurt, Kathy's ice chest fiasco, camp fire cooking. We impressed the dinner guests with two dutch oven cookers and one professional chef.

A reunion of nice people doing nice stuff for nice people.

I guess I won't be put on an ice floe and sent out to sea -- yet. I think I am safe for another year. I was telling Andrew that I was the liberal in the family and he said I know, everyone talks behind your back about what a liberal you are. I said Andrew they don't talk behind my back, they tell me that to my face! What was I saying about nice people? My family is even nice to the liberal.

I don't mind telling you it is hard work getting my life shoved back in it's rut. I have to dig those trenches again. I've been busy with going back to work, restocking the pantry, catching up with friends, paying bills, catching up with movies, book club, Ian, The Connorman. I haven't seen Christian yet, but he took Bo over to Claire's so Bo could look at her computer. Lucky Claire.

Jeff and I talked about how much we missed sending and receiving birthday cards. I had bought a lovely birthday card for Janice and didn't send it. I didn't even send it late. So I came home and bought stamps (I paid extra for the Tiger design because part of the money goes to endangered species. I didn't do it for the endangered species bit, I did it because it is a great looking stamp. Once an artist always an artist.) So here is a Birthday Card Challenge; your mission if you care to accept it is to send birthday cards this year.

Ian came back safe and sound from Orlando and is heading to Portland later this month. He stayed in beautiful old town St Augustine Florida at the beautiful St George Inn and played a bit before heading home. I think he is going to play a bit in Portland before heading home also.

Stephanie and I laid out the Holiday plans. Who is going to be where when and with whom.

The trip to Arkansas couldn't have been better we simply messed about. Jeff drove and it took four adults, two maps, one back seat driver, and one computer to keep us on track going nowhere in particular.

We ate some mighty fine food. Have YOU had deep fried cheese cake? It is worth a trip to Cafe on the Route in Baxter Springs Kansas. On route 66 naturally. The cafe is in an old bank building whose claim to fame is it MIGHT have been robbed by Jesse James and Cole Younger. Julia discovered it on an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Only us Taylor's would have lunch in Missouri at Instant Karma for deep fried bacon-wrapped hot dogs and then drive to Kansas for dessert. Let's see how many of us have heart trouble? Oh well I can die with a smile on my face. If anyone asks after I am gone just tell them Jan said the good the bad and the ugly was all good.

We found spectacular Rainbow Bridge: "Crossing Route 66 on the northeast side of town, the unique design is the only example of that type of bridge still in existence today." Okay maybe it wasn't that spectacular but it sure was fun. Nora nixed my idea of photographing her mother in a hitchhikers cheese cake pose. Can't imagine why.

Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art was worthy in every respect. Beautiful, tranquil, stunning, fun. When we ate at their cafe I had gourmet Brown Beans and Cornbread -- with chervil oil. I thought of mother and wondered if the Whitney Museum in New York served brown beans and cornbread. I understand eastern museums are a little jealous of some of Crystal Bridges permanent art work that they don't have. Whiners! I loved Peonies in a Breeze while Julia liked Hollyhocks. So it goes. I was disappointed I missed Stella, my legs finally gave out. Oh well maybe next time.

Isn't that a fun part of the Spirit of life, what's next?
Now back to my rut; mother would understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment