Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Kids and Christmas

Christmas comes to us all once a year! My favorite Christmas song by Mahalia Jackson.

Christmas in retail makes you sag just a little, so I'm basking in the glow of kids and Christmas. Kids and Christmas and noisy toys. Of hugs and "I love yous." Of trips to Santa and toy catalogs. Of parties and feasting and joy.

I'm also pondering the sadness of children struggling to breath, fighting cancer, mending from broken bones, homes, hearts. The young ones where Christmas is of secondary concern -- or beyond concern entirely. I'm thinking of all those gifts bought with no longer a child to receive.

Christmas touches those deep places. Deep in our heart where goodness resides. Where faith resides. Where love resides. Where compassion resides. Secular or spiritual Christmas comes to us all once a year. It is a weighty moment in the yearly cycle of our life.

I just watched the movie Jesus of Nazareth by Franco Zeffirelli a powerful retelling of the timeless story. Jesus: uneducated, homeless, unemployed, living off charity, preaching tolerance, forgiveness, unity, joy, love. Born in a hovel, buried in a borrowed grave leaving many lessons I have yet to learn.

Christmas comes to us all once a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment