Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Bigger Event

One last word about the Superbowl and why over 700,000 people came out to cheer on the streets of Seattle in 20 degree weather. I'm searching for the bigger picture. The bigger event. Where does the vortex that sucked me in come from? It was palpable.

Ian's friend Nila took a two hour lunch so she could go to the roof of her downtown building and watch, with permission of course. There were so many people trying to get on the Sounder trains that they finally quit collecting tickets, "just get on." They ran extra trains, extra ferries, extra buses. I was driving South on 99 HWY to meet Claire for breakfast and the traffic was intense at 8:30 in the morning, cars packed with people and flags a flying, laughing, cheering, honking their horns, going to the big event.

Colleagues had trouble getting to work, I-5 was backed up with flags a flying and people laughing, cheering, honking their horns going to the big event. Colleagues also had trouble going home due to the massive amount of people. My friend Jo-Anne and another colleague finally gave up trying to get on a bus after several hours and went to a movie until things died down a little.

Those are some particulars, but what about the bigger? I'm puzzled, intrigued, searching my finite brain for a universal answer, again one that would include me, as to "what just happened?"

My friend Mary gave me a few insights, smart woman Mary. One metaphor was likening it to caveman hunters coming home from a successful hunt with a mastodon that would feed the cave for the winter. Pure celebration of success that the whole cave could participate in.

Another idea she floated was being swept up in the unknown factor of just who would win, like gambling or solitaire or Dragon Boat Racing. A participation without blame. If the team wins you share the victory, if the team looses it isn't your fault. This was a victory shared, and shared, and shared.

I always thought sports were akin to war, a battlefield, I have discovered they aren't. It is something else. A few men on a field moving a ball around created this explosion of celebration. Somethings are just beyond my ken. 

As is Connor. He has entered the jabbering stage, I pick him up and he talks non-stop. We are driving along, him carrying on a conversation with who knows who and I hear him say something about Ninjas secret powers. I say, I didn't know Ninja's have secret powers. "Granny it is a secret, my mom doesn't tell you everything." Okaaaay. So when he mentioned "eye-ball holders" in the back seat, I kept my mouth shut. 

We are going to make a stuffed animal, Connor and I, so to make sure I did it right he drew a diagram with instructions, with part A attaching to part B, with arrows and lines and a few flourishes to boot connecting this to that. Anyone remember the words from Alice's Restaurant? The boy can't write a word but he communicated clearly what I was and was not to do. 

I'm thinking of cruises and siblings. I love siblings. It looks like several of us will be cruising to Alaska with Jean. Lynn posted a photograph on Facebook of the Mendenhall Glacier just to remind me of the pleasures that await. I poked around on the Princess Cruise Lines website to view The Golden Princess. All I can say is WOW I'm going to need help. A lot of help. Lucky for me I will have some experienced cruisers cruising along beside me. I love siblings. They are so comforting. Right Mary? 

I see all the things I don't want to do, but I am assured there will be plenty of what I do want to do.

Shirley Temple died, now there was an icon. Sad to say icons come and icons go, as will I when God decides to punch my lights out. Hopefully after my cruise.

Now a wee word about retirement from Ray McLain: for all you retired siblings. 

How many days in a week?
6 Saturdays, 1 Sunday

When is a retiree's bedtime?
Two hours after he falls asleep on the couch.

What is the biggest gripe of retirees?
There is not enough time to get everything done.

Among retirees, what is considered formal attire?
Tied shoes.

How many retirees to change a light bulb?
Only one, but it might take all day.

Just before the funeral services the undertaker came up to the very elderly woman and asked,
How old was your husband? 
98, she replied, two years older than me.
So you're 96?
She responded, Hardly worth going home is it?

Book club tonight, sons dinner Sunday, and the beat goes on.

Love to all my retired siblings ~ and everyone else. Especially Amber, she sent me the sweetest email about the blog. I love Amber, she will retire soon, probably before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment