Friday, April 11, 2014

Turtle Happiness

I read in a book recently "living life with intention." I liked that phrase. A worthy phrase. Creating a world, a life, whether with books, art, walks, building, or something else. Fishing? Driving? Sewing? Sitting and watching the sunset? Spiritual?

Living life with intention is family for most; feeding, clothing, protecting. For Bo it might be weaving. For Roger running? For Jason dreaming of a motorcycle, or at least that is what I glean from his Facebook posts? A home, a job? I'm surrounded by a great ocean of intention from family, friends, colleagues. Assisting another with their intention is one of the greatest acts of humanity we can perform.

Living life with intention requires attention, purpose, sometimes prayer. The intention might be to make it through the day -- or night. To reach a height. To be still. To connect, or disconnect as the case may be. It isn't always the big and bold, sometimes it is the quiet and meek. Sometimes it is just being true to oneself. Congruent.

That is where I am now. Wrapped up in the intention of being congruent. I am who I am. I feel like a princess separated, I feel a great distance from others. I'm separated by common interests. I don't hear a single conversation at work that I want to participate in. I have no opinion on Oprah, Ellen, breast feeding, boyfriends, exercise clubs, hill climbs. I don't share any common goals. I don't want to advance at work. I'm not angry at the latest dictate of change. I don't care what my annual review says. I have no five-year goals or plans. I'm not looking for a new home, husband, or heaven. My intentions lie else where. My energies are otherwise engaged.

First as I aged I became invisible, then like the great plate tectonics of the Earth, I drifted. Age is a great wall of separation. And ancient. Ancient like turtles.

Turtles: The shell developed from their ribs creating a protective shield. Yep that's me. Turtles are the most ancient of many species alive today. Yep that's me. Turtles have been around for some 220 million years, not quite me. Turtles move slow, like to eat, are poor mothers. They are considered to be social creatures and sometimes switch between monogamy and promiscuity in their sexual behavior. Case studies also exist of turtles that have enjoyed playing. Oh, and they are smarter than rats at learning a maze. Turtles are known to exist in water, in forests, deserts, high mountains or low swamps.

The mythology of turtles is wisdom, patience, travels it's own path in it's own time -- with it's own intention. Unless I come out of my shell, which is becoming harder and harder for me to do, to help another achieve an intention, my intention is to travel my path with my family on an Alaskan cruise, cruising at my own turtle speed.

Life happens, isn't it a wondrous thing?

Life happened to Jeff with fire -- twice.
Life happened to Roger with water -- twice.

What gives? I'm sorry for their difficulties, but I admit I am fascinated by the pattern. Is some karma at work, some spiritual path only God understands? Is it too coincidental to ignore? Isn't it a curious thing? Just a random thought.

Roger and Stephanie's house is a mess. They will be living at the Fortener's until theirs is repaired, recarpeted, rebuilt, repainted, and completely redone. That is what happens when the washing machine filter is not inserted correctly and you are sick and your wife is away and you throw in a load of clothes and go to bed.

Other random thoughts: Words. Who can live without words? Words are life, theater, entertainment. Words can be used to scare or inspire. To threaten or endear. Words are indestructible, they last centuries. Words are freedom. I watched the two movies The Book Thief and 12 Years a Slave and pondered the power of words then came across the quote by Mark Twain, "There is no difference between the man who can't read and the man who won't." Words are power.

Fun words: Possession and Mississippi, two words with four ess in them. In a playful mood I'd tried to think of other words with four ess's in them, but decided I would rather have breakfast. Also fun. Rice omelet with cheese and salsa, sourdough toast, and fresh pineapple.

My intention is to exit life with deliberately few possessions. I have some work to do, so send me a prayer to assist.

My intention is to exit life without disgracing myself too much. Well, no more than I already have. I have some work to do, so send me a prayer to assist.

Nora and Julia I have to tell you that Gladys brings me much happiness. Thank you again for happiness that I only have to sit in my turtle shell and enjoy.

Turtle happiness is my intention. Good luck on yours today and if you need a prayer I will be happy to assist.


No comments:

Post a Comment