Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Jan-ish Kind of Day

Somehow the movie Noah turned a story in the Bible into a Marvel Comic type of movie, the movie is getting high marks on Rotten Tomatoes, but I didn't much care for it. How about you? I did like the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, cute and sweet. It got low marks on RT. Guess I'm in a sweet-ish Jan-ish lowbrow kind of mood. How about you? I loved it when Shirley McClain's character said, "We are all grown ups here." but that is one of my favorite philosophies anyway so it was easy to love.

My body always has a little pain somewhere. Sometimes it has a lot of pain somewhere, but the other day driving home from work, at the end of my 40 hour stint, my body hurt every where. Hmm don't remember that happening before. A new era has dawned. Everything from my head to my toes hurt; head, neck, shoulders, back, hips, gut, thighs, legs, calves, ankles, arms, wrists, butt. No fall was involved so I think it was tension. Not something I am very experienced with. Tension pain. I think the cruise is surfacing in my body in mysterious ways. I'm thinking about it, planning it, pondering it, looking forward to it, wondering about it, anticipating it, it seems as though the cruise now has my full attention.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting so much advice about a cruise that I worry if I will have room for the experience of a cruise, even my Mohs doctor chimed in with an opinion or two. And if the adviceor has actually taken the same Inland Passage Alaskan cruise, watch out -- incoming -- except for the Bowman family, whom I wanted to ask; Where can you find coffee at 4am if need be, that early early spot you guys discovered?

Two weeks -- two weeks and family starts arriving. I am not renting an eight passenger van for sporting around Seattle, trips to the airport, the Troll, and/or Spuds. I have a different plan in mind. This cruise is so going to happen. Cathy will see the flower house, you will all see Connor and tell me three times, each, how cute he is. This cruise action has turned a corner and it is all downhill from here. Oops, a little bit of a mixed metaphor there, sorry about that. Pier 91 here we come.

My only disappointment is I won't be sitting on Edmond's beach watching MY ship set sail up the Puget Sound towards the Juan de fuca Straight and out to sea. I've watched those cruise ships for years sitting on a dock by the bay and now it is my turn. I will need an out of body experience.

That sounds delicious to say "MY ship set sail up the Puget Sound towards the Juan de fuca Straight and out to sea." I shiver with excitement and anticipation, no wonder my body is aching.

"There are two ways to live life. One as if nothing is a miracle. The other as though everything is a miracle." from Lynn.
Or to quote Jerry, "Life is good."

I'm working on my cruise wardrobe palette, I mean, I do have seven pairs of red shoes.

Even though it seems like it, not everything is a cruise connection. Right now all connections and relationships seem paramount. Verla and Earl stopped by for a visit and I was blown away, again, at how active Verla is with keeping family connections. She knows far flung cousins; who they are, where they are, what they are doing, how their health is, and well, all sorts of stuff.  Verla has your number; in her email, on her phone, locked into Facebook, and on the family scroll, she was amazing. Is amazing.

I kept trying to come up with some sort of elegant title for her behavior-quest-mission. Scribe was pretty damn weak. Chronicler seemed officious. Secretary to mundane. Registrar to academic. So like a good wordsmith I consulted my Roget's Thesaurus.

My friend Claire asked me at breakfast if I found the proper word?
I said nooooo...
I got distracted by the word Thesaurus
and took a fascinating mini stroll through Wikipedia.

Roget started writing his in 1805, the first modern thesaurus, and published his first one in 1852. It has never been out of print. I love the original format versus the modern format. Roget's is organized by sense, conceptually instead of alphabetically. I like that. It has always been more helpful for me.

Latin word, coming from Greek, meaning "treasure, treasury, storehouse." It is also notated that the entomology is uncertain, Of course it is. Maybe from "To put, to place." I wonder if Judy received her thesaurus for her birthday?

Back to cruise and family; I'm stocked up on toilet paper, coffee, napkins, hand soap, and V-8 Juice. Bought a new coffee pot. Amber will have a day to roam Seattle at will. She might climb a mountain. I'm slow as Methuselah, Noah's grandfather I think, but getting things done. That is just the way this monkey chitters. I have all my medicine ordered, and, and, and...

More Jan'ishness:

I loved writing about book club last week.
On an early morning call at work I heard a rooster crowing in the back ground. What a nostalgic blast. It might have been several roosters because there was quite a chorus.
The smog has been horrific, but getting better with cooler weather, now if we could just get a little rain.
I read the other day that both New York and Chicago get more annual rainfall than Seattle. All I know is what I read.

When we went out to dinner with Verla and Earl the other evening, Connor ate the little raw cabbage cup his gyoza was nestled in, dipped in the gyoza dipping sauce, of course. Oh and also the raw carrots decorating his plate, and an orange slice. Don't know if he ate a single gyoza.    Love that boy.

Pier 91, Puget Sound, Juan de fuca Strraight, Pacific Ocean, Inland Passage, Alaska, here comes
Jean's 75 Birthday Alaskan Cruise Family Rolling Circus.
Cruise control, cruise connections, cruise brain.

Cruise brain might be hazardous to you health.

Simple things: seeking first to understand instead of being understood.

Now I'm wondering about the word "Straight" as in Juan de fuca Straight. Talk to you later about that.

I figured it out, Verla is an activist, a family activist. Love her, love you, love the idea of a cruise.
It's so going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment