Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Alaska Versus Cruise

I took a brief survey without any kind of scientific control and discovered most folks are excited about going to Alaska, but my boss was excited about the cruise.
People are always interesting.
Isn't that the way it always is. There are those who like a slow picturesque climb and those who want a power surge to make it to the top of anything. Alaska versus Cruise?

I like frog legs, but I know people who will move to another table to avoid sitting with someone eating frog legs. When I went to the local cinema metroplex once to see the movie The Milagro Beanfield War with two other people in the audience, my date lasted about 1/3 of the way through the movie and then bailed for a neighboring theater to see something with a little more action. I wish I could remember the name of the movie he ditched me for, but I don't. I still love that movie -- The Milagro Beanfield War.

Speaking of "bailing" I bailed out of work yesterday morning at 9:30 am. Just up and left. I packed up, shut down the computer, and informed my boss that I was leaving. Too much excitement brewing in the air for me to sit any longer. She just smiled and said take lots of pictures. I love understanding bosses. Out the door I skipped whistling a happy tune. Metaphorically.

I went on a fact-finding mission to try to determine if I should buy a smart phone before my cruise, another type of survey. Ian said maybe, Roger said yes, Stephanie said no, Carol said I have an old one you can have. Problem solved. Stephanie might have said hell no.

Monday three generations of Brown women came over to get me wired. Carol brought a phone, a pink polka-dotted charger, a car charger, an adapter, a battery. I don't really know what all she brought she just kept tearing things out of shrink-wrap. I am afraid this might be a debt I can't repay. About the fourth time I asked Katie, "What is that?" She said, "Jan, you are killing me here." Now she knows how inept I really am.

Ian made a run to the T-Mobile store and it's only going to cost him 20.00 more a month. Mostly unlimited shit and 5 gigabytes of something. The lady told Ian most people use about 3 gb and as you all know I am not "most" people. But am I going to have fun taking photographs.

The graying American's are alive and busy and out and about and heading to Alaska. I noticed even the young'ens have a smattering of grey, we old'ens just take pity on them and don't talk about it.

How many reasons are there to cruise to Alaska?
Birthdays, anniversaries, babies born, celebrations, what if you had survived a year battling cancer, those sort of survival celebrations, retirement, adventure, just running away from home or going home. Some big life event, or life time dream.

Now is the time, today is the day, the adventure begins. I wonder how much toilet paper they have to stock for thousands of people for eight days and seven nights.

Life events:
I am supposed to get my hearing aids tomorrow.
Connor started school today.
Those qualify.

My blogging is done until I reach the flip side of this adventure. My family is arriving and my energies are otherwise engaged; looking for rocks and avoiding socks -- in Alaska.


No comments:

Post a Comment