Friday, December 19, 2014

Days Before Christmas

Quote from the book Man in the Window: "Everything that comes out right. The dreams that come true.

"Only eight days until Christmas," Connor announced when I picked him up from school. Guess who is counting? Are you?

Connor showed me how to cut a heart and a foxhead out of paper free hand.
I showed Connor how to cut a heart out of paper folded in half.
Connor showed me how to cut a fox out of paper folded in half.
The boy picks up concepts quick.
Did you know you could cut a fox head out of folded paper?
I showed Connor how to fold paper and make a gingerbread man paper chain.
That impressed him.
So we made paper chain snowflakes.
Paper chain snowmen.
Paper chain rockets. Yes, rockets. Connor's request.
The boy is entertaining.
So we folded, cut and paper chained all evening.
Maybe granny is a little entertaining.

The miracle of things that come out right, dreams that come true, from babies to apple pies.
Christmas nights with dreams stacked all around a perfect twinkling tree.

This is the quiet before the main event. Everything that can be done ahead is done. I can't bake rolls or make salad yet. A day of Dr appointments, clean the bathroom and library run. Coffee and chocolate. Nap and solitaire. Newspaper and book.

I can hear all through the family the rustlings of Christmas.
I'm thinking of family.

Julia is snipping and wrapping with care.
Jane is baking, she has lots of family to share.
Jean is taking it easy, or so she claims.
Art is contemplating getting out of pain.
Amber is wondering how to get it all done.
Summer is busy in a retail war zone.
Jerry is stirring and shaking Chex mix.
Cathy is shopping with visions of cruises.
Mark is giggling over Christmas surprises.
Jason and Claire are doing their bit.

Some are traveling -- all are basking
In their Christmas time loveliness.

My mind is on family as they prepare for gatherings.
As I prepare for mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment