Thursday, March 5, 2015

Out of the Ordinary

Once in a golden hour
I cast to Earth a seed
Up there came a flower
The people said a weed.  From Tennyson.

It is a weed only by the company it keeps. It all depends on which field you are standing in. In other ground, with other surroundings, it's a grass, or a dandelion, or a fern, or a giant sequoia. The point of grass in a field of something else isn't obvious, but a grass isn't out-of-the-ordinary. A blade of grass, or what ever, thrives where it is planted, it is perfect in all of God's intentions. As am I. As are you.

I became sad in California. There was lots of former-life nostalgia. There were weather reports on TV which listed all the places I had lived. Where Little Lonnie was born. Where Lonnie and Little Lonnie died. Something big was happening in Carson CA so it was on the news every day, every hour it seemed, and that was where the receiving hospital was that accepted the bodies after the accident, both dead and alive. I became sad in California and I haven't quite shaken it yet. But life goes on as it tends to do.

Work, sons, Connor, car (I crunched it and Christian couldn't fix it). My sweet pretty little car now has a ding on it. If it's four feet long is it still called a ding? I've parked in the same place, in the same downtown parking lot, in the same space, space 115, next to the same bushes for years, years, so how is it that on that particular Tuesday morning I side-swiped the bushes -- bad. I heard the crunch going in and then heard the crunch backing out. Oh, have no fear, I did a number on it. It was dark, very dark and I am such an old lady. Or so Christian told me after I complained that Ian thinks I am such an old lady, Christian's response was, well you are.

I started my retirement job which I didn't know I wanted until Tal asked me why I wanted to change jobs during my recent visit to Oklahoma. Thanks Tal, now I know I want to retire but can't afford to, so second choice is get an easier job. I succeeded with that by changing my work schedule from 40 hours a week to 32 hours a week. I just thought I didn't want a long commute, to drive downtown, walk up the hill, stand around in the rain to smoke. I was so wrong.

The living, a living.

So a new life is starting with same days on and same days off, with all vacation time and benefits still firmly in place, same work station, break room, colleagues and bosses, but a new Jan dancing out of there at 1:30 instead of 3:30. I will get back to you on the poorer part.

In life all risks and responsibilities are mine.

Speaking of risks did you know a downtown office building can have Conditions of Entry? "Property is reserved for the use of our patrons and customers. All violations of the Seattle Municipal Code and Revised Code of Washington are prohibited. No entry after business hours without permission of owners." So my downtown office building is about 18 stories tall, the Conditions of Entry notice is about 18 inches square and not even tacked to the back door, but instead at an obscure corner of the building. Talk about the fine print at the bottom of a contract. Beware you might be breaking some official code. Risks, always risks.

Life is a risk isn't it? At Janice's b-day trip as the organ recital began, and continued and continued, I realized I am doomed. Doomed. I was lost in the discussions of Medicare, Medicaid, insurance, what's covered and what isn't, what doctors will take Medicare patients and which won't, what insurance supplements are needed and why. I was lost. I figure the only solution is to hurry and die.

The trip to California, ostensibly to celebrate Janice's birthday, turned into the Janice and Art show. What a show it was. They work in concert like buzzing bees. We had a blast, we talked, ate, some petted the dogs, had delicious meals, delicious fruit, delicious company and watched Janice and Art fuss some more. From the den to the breakfast nook to the backyard patio it was entertainment at its finest. Jerry can make coffee, Art can cook egg McMuffins, pick lemons, walk the dogs, keep Janice's oxygen flowing, work in the garden, monitor roses and tomatoes and just about everything else that needed doing.

It took two drivers, two cars, multiple coupons and we were off. First up for business was the birthday dinner at The Black Angus, then the next night The Soup Plantation, then the third night some fabulous Mexican food but I forget the name of the restaurant. I am such an old lady.

The next day, after the Mexican feast, Jane announced at the back patio door that she was heating up leftovers and if we didn't eat neither would she. Yikes, what a conundrum; I didn't want to starve Jane, but neither did I want the leftovers. Lucky for me Janice and Jean answered the call and I could continue to try, key word here is TRY, to get my blood sugar somewhere closer to normal control. See above paragraph about organ recital. Jane blesses everyone with her caring and attention. What would we do without her. Me? I ate some lousy vegetables instead of delicious Mexican.

Have you heard this story about Jane: Before Jean went into the hospital for two quarts of blood Jerry and Jane had driven over to pick up the Christmas breakfast cookies Jean had made. Jane took one look at Jean and knew she wasn't right, knew she needed more help, knew she was sicker than she admitted. Jean said no she was okay and Jane being respectful left, however she told Jerry on their drive home she just didn't feel right leaving Jean in the physical state she was in. So, in a last ditch effort in caring and attention she called Jean and offered to take her to the emergency room.

Later as Jean was reciting the story she said, I was about to call 911, when 911 called me.

Yep, not every family has it's own personal 911 service. That is our Jane at her finest. She can look at you, a kid, a dog, or a foot and know it isn't well, know it isn't right, know it's time to haul yo' ass to the emergency room. Thank you Jane. We thrive where we are planted perfect in God's intention.

Food and family, two of my favorite things, you can't beat the combination.

Jane is loving, California is shiny, dogs need petting, books need reading, life needs some fussing, life needs some living, life needs, well, life needs some life.

Sons dinner Sunday, I'm making pulled pork. Thank you Brittany for the spice packets. Ian comes home today. My car is still crunched. Connor and I colored, built with Legos, ate dinner, and in general had a delightful evening last night. Jerry is excited that Book Club is planning a retreat to Flathead Lake in Montana, he is going to test if he is a true member of Book Club or not.

Jan's reading gets lighter and lighter as Jerry's gets heavier and heavier. Last fantastic book I read was recommended by Jerry for Book Club; The Pick Up by Nadine Gordimer. Julia if you want to read The Curve of Time I will send you my copy.

Janice loves birds, crossword puzzles, puppies or dogs in general, sweet sentimental commercials, Southern California, a good coupon, family visits, Art, a good laugh. Janice's birthday is over for a year and Art's is looming. March 13th for the old guy.

Life with all its risks and responsibilities, and food and family, does it get any better?
We are all out of the ordinary in the most amazingly ordinary ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment