Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cultural Shock

It is cultural shock entering the ranks of senior citizenry -- trying to become a native. Comparing notes with other recent immigrants. I'm talking about it with friends, family, and colleagues. I'm not over the WOW factor of growing older, I'm continually amazed at this brave new world. I never dreamed I'd visit this land of ancient arts, limited vistas, excursions to new sights, and magic.

We recent emigres' love the next generation and respect the fact of them making their own realities as we made ours, but we feel something akin to worship for the generation after that. Grandchildren might be the reward for surviving.

The Bible says to yeild the things of youth. That's happening pretty deffinantly. It's easy to let go of dressing sexy, tanning at the beach, and staying up all night. Instead of massive exertion and magarita headaches it's teas, coffees, lunches, and dinners. There are a few laudable exceptions, but most of us are content to walk in the park.

We can organize ourselves with other like minded tourists; Red Hats, AARP, travel clubs, and senior discounts, or we can go it alone. Alone along life's lonesome highway. Oh, wait I think that is a Willie Nelson song and not actually my thought.

We walk slower, climb fewer stairs, dress more comfortable, drive more carefully, study deeper, read more labels, all quieter activities -- unless you zip-line or white water raft. Like I said there are exceptions. Generally we coddle ourselves just a little bit more. We are content to feed the birds.

We get wore out easier. After training at work and a son's dinner I was wiped out, even though Ian did 90% of the dinner work. Ian hauled, washed, and chopped every vegetable and there were lots of vegetables. Roger liked the salsa, Stephanie liked the banana pudding, Chirstian liked the Indian tacos, and Bo liked the squash pickles. Connor didn't like anything except Bo and wrecking havoc in my condo.

We are more content in the present. Looking back is nostalgic and looking forward is not so inpiring, so we conquer today. Our personality is set, we aren't likely to change. We accept more shortcomings and have a few more pills and doctor visits. My doctor told me I was getting older. Like I said we accept more shortcomings, I had already figured that part out. All that gathered collective wisdom enables us to tell folks to "duck off" if we want.

New things don't scare us, we have survived tougher.
It's a wonderous world I hope you get to visit someday.

Or as Carol's grandfather used to say. I get up in the morning and have nothing to do all day and when I go to bed at night it isn't all done yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment