Friday, May 10, 2013

Genetic Material

What are we made of?

Brittany have you read The Book Thief yet? Is reading genetically inherited? Early man certainly didn't read books, so I suppose we humans started by reading natural signs; animal paths, prints in the mud, clouds on the horizon, facial expressions. Now we read the weather reports, guide books, maps, lots of maps, and take photographs instead.

Jerry is hobbling to the bathroom. Is hobbling genetic? How long would our hobbling ancestors have survived. When did hobbling become socially acceptable and not a leave him behind community decision? Jerry said the doctor said, "rehab, rehab, rehab." It's all good.

Jeff and Nora are winging to the UK. Traveling too and fro seems pretty genetically solid to me.
Jean says she will claim me and sign an affidavit so stating. I might get this passport thing conquered after all. The genetic power of tribe.

Jean's garden grows. That genetic habit ended in me. Don't depend on me for survival food. Although I am determined to grow a tomato plant. Determination sounds genetic.

I took Connor to book club with me and we sat at the same table we sat at last month at book club before moving to the play area. As we were leaving Third Place Books we walked by that table and Connor said, "Hey, why are those people sitting at our table." We are Territorial animals aren't we? Maybe it started with that garden plot.

I spread Connor's McDonald's dinner out in front of him, the nuggets, the french fries and the apple slices. He ate the apple slices first. That seemed unnatural. Later, as he did some small task I asked him how he got so strong, "Because I eat healthy food." that seemed unnatural also for a four year old.

Christian turned 37, 37, I can hardly believe it. It seems like only yesterday he was Judy's size. Genetic progeny continues. Judy and Christian both book lovers. And exactly how many book lovers are there in the family?

What are we made of besides sugar and spice and puppy dog tails? If I shed a tear at the edge of Lake Michigan is my genetic material still there. When they look at ancient bashed in skulls 20 percent of them are bashed in by a left handed hungry Neanderthal. Left handedness is ancient. I don't know about red hair and freckles, it sure would be useful for melding into the landscape and not being seen and eaten by a predator who couldn't tell the difference between red hair and red leaves. Or it would be good for hiding in the landscape and pouncing when an unsuspecting morsel walked by who couldn't tell the difference between red hair and a red leaf.

We know how long ago art has been a part of genetic material. Some believe dance was the first artistic expression of mankind. Me I think it was stories. Before dance, before daubs on the side of caves, it had to be stories. More than likely the remember-when-grandma-farted-in-the-Bass-Pro-Shop sort of stories. Mankind could not have survived with out humor. Humor has to be genetic material. even if it has no residual evidence. The evidence is it is still roiling out via progeny. Think Taylor, or Christian and Jeff the two quickest wits, yep survival material.

Anger? I know Connor flashes that famous Taylor anger on occasion. I also know he inherited that from his dad. I don't know how far back anger goes in our family but the ones I know of: My grampa Taylor, my father, me, my son, and now my grandson. Anger seems to have a place in the genetic material line up.

Nature vs Nurture? No contest, nature wins hands down.

Cathy is planning trips.
Chris' bday is today.
How was the young Harris' prom?
Is Jane getting her rest?
Is Tal fishing?
Will Jeff bake some bacon bread?

Janice's confinement is confounding. They gave her blood in the middle of the night. Julia is cleaning and braiding her hair. She said she isn't doing crossword puzzles. I said how are you occupying your brain, she said she isn't, she sleeps. She refused a colonoscopy said she had one in Feb and they didn't need another. Still some fight in that old girl. She's still in isolation but isn't on any antibiotics. She is pretty sure she will move to this new rehab place but nobody tells her anything. Confounding.

Love to all my genetically related. Take good care of yourselves. Watch out for predators. Eat healthy, and read a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment