Friday, July 19, 2013

Connections: I'm Thinking of You

Driving home I passed a JB Hunt truck.
My cue to think of Julia, Tal, Jeff and all my Arkansas family.
At a stop light an Archie McPhee van sidled up.
My cue to think of Brittany.
Archie's was her favorite spot in Seattle.
I seem to remember bacon gum for Jeff.

What are the chances of two vehicles making me think of back home family in less than a block of traffic. By the way Archie McPhee was a real person. To quote their van "Less talk and more monkey."

Oh wait, there is Starbucks and for some reason I'm thinking of Jane.
Tow truck made me think of Chuck.
Arizona, Texas and California license plates made me think of you know who.
No Kansas plates sad to say, but by then I was looking.
Library stop made me think of Jerry.
Did you see Amber's FB post about being born with a reading list that never ends?
Cigarette store made me think of, well, my cigarettes.
Convertibles always make me think of Amber and Julia.
Cool comfortable weather makes me think of visitors.
Walks, trail head signs  -- Jerry and Lynn.
A bumper sticker made me think of Christian.
"Man made beer, God made weed. Who do you trust."

The Post Office to pick up my overnighted letter from Jean made me think of Jean and how much I appreciate the work she did for me in spite of tornadoes and emergency room visits. It made me think of how much Jean does for everyone. She called me later and apologized for it being a timely failure. I said Jean it is only a failure because you always try to give 300 % and if you only give 219% you feel like a failure. You are NOT a failure. And the passport documents are winging their way to Arizona. Thank you very much. Especially to Cathy who helped her get it all done.

Bikes, flowers, tomatoes, fences, dogs, joggers;
all triggered a memory of someone special.
All of this "thinking" between the JB Hunt truck and home.
I guess I'm just thinking of you all.

A conversation at breakfast with Mary and Claire about a recumbent exercise bike and the wonders it has done for Mary's knees made me think of all my "bad knee" relatives. She can exercise longer, walk farther, and feels better. So if you aren't on a recumbent get on one.

A Korean business in the Korean portion of Seattle named Choi made me think of Christian's girlfriend Bo Choi. Like who wouldn't?

I came on home and was catching up on some old issues of Time when lo and behold there is an article about James Turrell and I'm thinking of all those Arkansas folks again. July 1, 2013, the article didn't mention Crystal Bridges, but by then it didn't have to, I was already there.


Connections with out any physical contact is a mystery. Connections? Where does that arise from? Memory? What magical part of our brain gives us this gift? It was such a pleasant little excursion down a path of thinking of family and friends, also gifts we don't necessarily deserve, that I am still in the afterglow.

If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies. Author Unknown
I can't remember when or where I grabbed this quote; Lynn? Amber?
But I do love it and I am feeling butterfly-ish today.

I think I will go to Ballard and have Christian fix me up with an oil change and see where else my wandering brain travels to.

No comments:

Post a Comment