Friday, June 6, 2014

The River Show

Passion: I have learned that my favorite shampoo from Trader Joe's has been discontinued. I LOVED that shampoo, Citrus Refresh, but new things happen every day, so out with the old and in with the new. Who can recommend a "grapefruity" shampoo?

Blaine has left the old and headed to the new. I understand he is headed to OSU. Taylor is acting, Hannah is going to teach, but does anyone know what degree Blaine is interested in? He came into the world in about 1996, the year of Pokemon. Braveheart won best picture at the Oscar's. Steve Jobs returned to Apple, the company he founded, thus creating the world Blaine now lives in. He was five-ish when 9-11 happened. And nobody texted anyone. Some other stuff has happened since then, but now the world is his to, well, as my friend Mary says, "Don't look back, you aren't headed in that direction."

Happy Birthdays are extended to my fabulous son Roger, my fabulous sister Josephine, my fabulous sister-in-law Jane, and fond memories go out that today would have been Mother's birthday. Happy birthday Mom where ever you are. I hope it's not too hot.

Passion: I meet it every day on Facebook. In one mornings scan I was exhorted to be liberal, be conservative, laugh, be adventurous, hike the Grand Canyon, relax, engage more deeply, appreciate the arts, give advice, don't give advice, change the world, plant a tree, grow a garden, heal the world, ride a motorcycle, loose weight, don't loose too much, camp, drink, eat, play games, complain about people who complain about me, look at cats, admire babies, become more musical, watch out for drownings, bugs and scams.

The passions that move people are alive and well. Passion for beautiful artwork, adventures, children, humor, puns, puzzles, games, ideas, ideals, stories, photographs, philosophy, quotes, information, facts -- makes me happy.

Quote from Bill Nye the science guy: Everyone you ever meet knows something you don't.
That is good to remember.

Connor and I were headed to the grocery store and he asked me the name of the store.
I answered QFC.
He said Granny I can spell that.
Well spell it for me.
QFC.
I love my smart grandson.

Connor is still coming to my house for our playdate until his house is completed, and a play date with Connor is exhausting. I mentioned to Ian the other evening that he is good as gold, but when he leaves I am exhausted. Ian said well you are sixty years older than him. Now there is a prospective I hadn't actually considered.

I've sent three movies back to Netflix with out watching them, a diminishing passion. What's up with that? First music appreciation diminished, then reading passion diminished, now MOVIES? What next?

My house purge has come to a screeching halt, gotta get back on that. I've been busy with grandson, friends, work, and fricking doctor appointments. It is confirmed my hearing has gone from low normal to moderately severe.

I wanted to know who designed the Cheerio and learned it was engineered by Lester Borchardt, who developed techniques to puff, package and fortify cereal. They are round to increase crunch surface, puffed instead of flat flakes to resist sogginess, have a hole in the middle so they cook evenly -- maybe -- no one really knows for sure. Passionate inventor Mr Borchardt, he also helped with WWII spy equipment. Interesting man Mr Borchardt.

I might be the world's mystery woman. Everyone knows Cher or Madona, but mention Jan and people will say who's that. Yep, that's me the world's mystery woman.

Back to my one in ten theory, I've noticed one in ten couples hold hands.

Lynn and I went to Edmond's waterfront for lunch yesterday after my eye doctor appointment, (he gave me a good report, no change, no diabetic warning signals) and the restaurant, either Arnie's or Anthony's we aren't in agreement on that, was filled to the brim with gray-headed diners and waitstaff. Gray-headed America is alive and well and busy and dining and laughing and drinking and walking the beach. What a beautiful day on the Puget Sound, the sun, the water, the boats, the ferry plying its coarse, and the happy people, happy to be alive, happy to be out and about stuffing themselves. Later over ice cream and coffee we chatted the afternoon away. What a perfect day.

Actually, I just looked it up, it was Anthony's Home Port Beach Cafe. Damn! I hate it when Lynn is right and I am wrong. Gray-headed America might also just be getting a little bit forgetful, well, at least this gray-headed American is. In my defense they are practically carbon copies of each other. Mirror images at each end of the beachfront.

The Puget Sound beckons this morning, it is gorgeous here today and has been for several weeks, blue sky, snow covered mountains, sparkling sound, but I am headed the other direction, towards Something Silver, to visit Ian, have lunch, and buy something dangly during University Village's annual sidewalk sale. It will be a madhouse, but I am up for it.

Deep in this life I am pondering The River Show. River Travel or River Appreciation? Is your passion riding the waves, floating down the river, seeing the sights right and left, leaning towards the next bend to see what is coming? Or is your passion lazing besides the river, watching the sun sparkle off the water, noticing the small miracles that happens in reeds and bushes, watching the birds dart and soar around the cliffs? I don't think there is a right or wrong passion.

An up and coming attraction on The River Show is Alaska. I told Kathy Noland 33% of my brain is devoted to Alaska, like a growth on the side of my head. It's not dead center but it is there all ballooned and puffed out.

Get out on the River and do something -- or not.

I'm going to have a cheese and broccoli omelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment