Friday, June 19, 2015

Waiting, Claire, and a Movie

When Julia was here and I waited for her to hike the Marymere Falls she was concerned about the amount of time that I would be waiting. I assured her I didn't mind; I had waited for Jean at the grocery store, Jerry at light houses, Cathy shopping, and Mike and Kathy everywhere, I have no problem waiting. If you come see me I will wait for you no matter what you decide to explore. Hell, I waited nine hours for the USS Abraham Lincoln to sail out of Possession Sound -- it didn't.

I am very good at waiting. Is that a skill I can sell? I don't get mad, anxious, upset, antsy. I can wait, but I have no tenacity at all, like some people I know, to solve a problem. Have you ever seen Jean solve a tech problem, she is awesome and tenacious...very tenacious. As is Julia, Janice, Jerry, I don't know about Jeff. I know Jeff is happy, helpful, conscientious, contented, patient, especially with grand-kids, but can he wait nine hours for a ship not to sail?

Jane, Julia and I found a new quilt store, and I know of a slew of kitchen stores, you need to come so I can wait for you. Jerry, Ian took me to a new restaurant at University Village that is a test restaurant where they try new and unusual items. It was delicious and fun. I was going to try one of their "test" items until I saw their classic burger and fries walk by. I bailed on the shrimp taco and went for the classic. You will enjoy the place; Joey's Kitchen.

Speaking of Janice; I talked to her and she sounded just down right perky. Her antibiotic treatments have come to an end, the pic-line is gone, she has a physical therapist coming twice a week to help her strengthen her arms and legs for more ease getting in and out of chairs, the PT said he thought a lot of it was in Janice's mind not her legs. Janice didn't say if she agreed with that assessment or not. Art is still dressing the wound all day. He has given up golf to nurse Janice's wound. I asked him if he missed golf and said he sure didn't miss getting up at 6 AM to go play. He will go back to golf, for the exercise if nothing else, after Janice doesn't need him anymore. He told me his dad played golf until he was 85 years old. Me, I just want to walk up the stairs.

Art the name of the tomato plant in my tomato farm is Super Fantastic. It is beautiful.

Claire is staying with me until her move to Minnesota. She seems quite comfortable making her bedroom in the middle of my living room. I took her to Social Security Administration in Everett because I could not tell her how to drive there. And waited. Poor Claire was nervous about me waiting, but I explained to her just like I explained to you that waiting is not hard for me. I am a people watcher deluxe. She bought me lunch anyway. 

In response I've made her watch some of my movies, the good and the bad. We watched an Israeli Arabic film called The Attack, a very good, very powerful film about a Palestinian who made a life for himself in Israel and who finds out his wife is a suicide bomber. It is good, very thought provoking, and deep.

We also watched another film that Rotten Tomatoes only gave 67% to, yet I loved; Rudderless. I thought it was really good, Rotten Tomatoes said the subject matter was too weighty yet saved by the quality of the acting. It did get a fresh rating, just not a really high fresh rating. What I didn't know until I read the credits, yes, I always read the credits, is it was filmed on Lake Hefner, Heavenor Lake, Guthrie, the Oklahoma boat house, sorry I can't remember the official name of the Oklahoma River Boat House, anyway in and around Oklahoma City under the auspices of the Oklahoma Film Office and its incentives. Made me proud. And I thought it was a very good film, weighty, but good.

A particularly bad film was Into The Woods, with Meryl Streep of all people and loads of other fine actors. Didn't like it.

I don't think Claire has minded the mini film festival and it isn't over yet. Today Netflix is sending me Hyde Park on Hudson. She is extremely interested in politics and I think she will enjoy the political subject even though it isn't supposed to be a very good movie. Fury is also coming, a WWII story, don't know how she will feel about that one.

It's funny how Claire isn't exactly a roommate nor is she exactly a guest. What sits between? She showed me that you could do jigsaw puzzles online. Who knew? She also does crossword puzzles on line. Hey, Sandy McCarthy the name of the crossword puzzle movie I tried to remember is Wordplay, a very good documentary about The New York Times crossword puzzles, editor, writers, tournament, world champion. Really good, entertaining, funny, mind boggling. Have fun watching that. 

Yes, Claire is here for her two week mini film festival -- plus other things -- as she winds up her last details and moves to Minnesota. I will miss her. We have been through a lot in 19 years of friendship. She is planning to take the train to Flathead Lake for the book club retreat in September. I'm feeling just a touch of sadness.

I can't close the blog without mentioning Doc. That touch of sadness that that fills me with the death of Doc, the death of a cousin, that touch of sadness that flows for and towards the Milam family, that touch of sadness contemplating mortality, that touch of sadness knowing another of the cousins will die, another sibling will die. Just a touch of sadness that's all.

Doc, life.  
Cousins, life.
Movies, life. 
Family, life. 
Book club, life. 
Tomatoes, life. 
Waiting, life. 

Life, ain't it something.

No comments:

Post a Comment