Friday, May 27, 2016

All a Twitter

Jean snapped a photograph for me of a poster in the Bread and Roses Bakery in Yachats Oregon.
I give it to you here:

Why Cheap Art? manifesto
People have been thinking too long that
Art is a privilege of the museums and the rich.
Art is NOT business.
Art does not belong to banks and fancy investors.
Art is food.
You can't eat it but it feeds you.
Art has to be cheap and available to
EVERYBODY.
It needs to be everywhere
because it is the inside of the world.

Art soothes pain!
Art wakes up sleepers!
Art fights against war and stupidity!
Art sings Hallelujah!
Art is for kitchens!
ART IS LIKE GOOD BREAD!
Art is like green trees!
Art is like white clouds in blue sky!
Art is cheap!
Hurrah!

Bread and Puppet, Glover, Vermont, 1987

Thank you Jean for your kind service to me. Especially since I am not feeling kind. I was driving to Roger's and passed a marquee that said "The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts." And my thoughts have turned mean.

I had a car trying to pass me and I had nowhere to go. There were two lanes of traffic creeping up Mukilteo Speedway and I was stuck behind the car in front of me. Finally the person had the opportunity to whiz past me, blast forward, and cut back in. I noticed he saved himself seven seconds to get to the gas station. I know because I counted. I said we were creeping didn't I, and now that I am retired I have nothing else better to do but count seconds. This must be the absolute seven second rule. I hope you have all learned how important it is to save those seven seconds. Me, I think he was seven seconds closer to an exploding heart attack. Yep, feeling mean.

And crotchety. How did I get so old and crotchety? I was grumpy at that driver. I got bored waiting at the hospital. I was grumpy in traffic, in line, at a disappointing movie, at disappointing service, the bathroom is too far, the elevators too slow, at signs of ill will around me. Grumpy, crotchety me. Is this retirement?

Alan Greenspan, former Federal Reserve Chairman warns of impending global retirement crisis. Thanks Alan that is enough to make me grumpy.


However, it felt really fun getting up early, doing all my getting ready to go to work routine, vitamins, meds, yogurt and NOT going to work, but going to pick up Lynn and take her to the hospital instead. Another aspect of retirement.

Driving past Boeing and seeing planes destined for Angola, Turkey, Japan, China, United Kingdom, and a few others countries I couldn't catch the name of was fun.

Looking out the window at the area's gray sky and seeing off in the distance, under the cloud cover, the Sun gleaming on the Olympic Mountains.

Going to Flathead Lake with Mary, going to Hawaii with Janice, long days of sunshine, cheap art on the walls, Connor checking out my black stone turtle and informing me it was made out of obsidian, naps, taking Brittany border to border of both Washington AND Oregon, watching Brittany go all goo goo over dogs and fru fru drinks from any local barista, and seeing her put up with her old granny and that crotchety old aunt.

...and I am all a twitter over my Flathead Lake trip in eight hours.
All is not lost yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment