Thursday, February 25, 2010

Life Keeps Pointing Me In The Life Direction

Good Morning Taylor Family, how are you today?

I watched a fantastic movie! Has everyone seen The Hurt Locker? It is so high on my recommendation list I can't even see it from here. I was so steeped in the movie I hardly even breathed. Direction, cinematography and all accouterments of movie making were completely lost in the gripping unfolding of the experience. The acting was superb, and because I don't watch TV the actors were brand new to me. This is what movies can do. This is film making at some kind of pure level, this is art. I won't forget this film for a long, long time.

I read The Help by kathryn Stockett and recommend it also, about black domestics in the sixties in the South. We might know poor, but we don't know domestics. The civil rights movement is way in the background, but there, obviously. These white ladies are direct decedents of Scarlett O'Hara. I don't think it is a great book, but it is the author's first novel and worthy, with some memorable characters and a memorable viewpoint.

Other than that, hey, Ian and I bought groceries and went to Dairy Queen. Life keeps pointing me in the life direction.

My friend Sandy had her first Olympic experience, she and her husband traveled to Vancouver for an ice hockey game. No, not that game, between the US and Canada, but the one after between Finland and Norway, I think. Anyway she posted some sweet comments on her blog that I will now share with you -- and she mentions mother:

The Vancouver Olympic Experience Is ...

... the friendliest host country imaginable.
... chatting and sharing with strangers from other countries.
... riding the skytrain everywhere and helping lost strangers find their way.
... one big street party - half of downtown closed to traffic.
... getting excited about the Paralympic Winter Games and hearing the athletes stories of overcoming adversity.
... cheering for the US, the best athlete, the underdog or our new friend's country
... a jacuzzi after walking all day!!!
... being blown away by natural beauty, man-made beauty and the sheer number of people in one place.
... homeless people on the street and dreaming of a more perfect world.
... hockey with no fighting (almost).
... searching all over for those elusive red mittens.
... queuing up for everything and meeting patient friendly people every time.
... people wearing their country's flags as capes.
... learning hockey terminology from a new French Canadian friend.
... quality time with one's spouse.

Thanks Jan and Maxine for the Love is ... idea.

I can confirm the friendliness of Canadians, when Jean and Jerry and I went to Vancouver we had help every step of the way. Canadians would see you puzzling over something and step up and ask, "Do you need help." We were so impressed that day.

On another note, there is a very good movie about some para-Olympic athletes called Murderball; they said he was an a__hole even before he became a quadriplegic.

As Sandy says on her blog Everyday is an Adventure and a challenge. Ain't it the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment