Friday, July 2, 2010

Thoughtful Ponderings

Does anyone know how Grandma and Grandpa Gilbert met? I know Grandma and Grandpa Taylor, Lemuel and Cessa, met at a camp meeting. He had ridden his horse and spied Miss McCord and went home and got his wagon so he could squire her home. But what about Frank Nelson and Nora, how did they meet? I seem to recall somewhere way back in the recesses of my brain -- way back -- that they were farm community neighbors. Is this true? Does anyone know the story? Just wondering.

I was thinking of mother and all the Fourths we had out on Fiftieth Street, all the fireworks, food, picnics, kids, sand piles, Tonka Trucks, sunburns, company, water hoses in the ready, bees, barns and babies. How many tin cans were blown up, how nary a kid was every hurt under dad's watchful, mother-hen, expect the worse and be prepared eye. Were those the good ole'days? The good sometimes days? The Fourth days?

I remember mother telling me a growing up story once, how she and some compadres, both genders, were on an Anadarko sandstone cliff seeing who could pee the farthest, whose pee traveled down the side the longest. I don't remember if she won, but she always loved a good stiff competition. I'm sure dad wouldn't have been a part of this type of adventure. Probably busy working. How old was he when he had to start picking cotton? Seven? Twelve? Somewhere in there.

Happy Fourth. Did I say that already? Well, happy fourth again you deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment