Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Blistering Sixty-Three

Yes, we are expecting a blistering sixty-three degrees today here in the Pacific Northwest. To quote Mike Noland, "No brag, just fact." Oh Lord it's been a mild June, thank you what ever Gods may be, but our mild weather is supposed to be coming to a screeching halt this weekend. It's supposed to get hotter and hotter and hotter until we reach 90 degrees. Jan is preparing her ice packs.

Happy FOURTH OF JULY to the whole the family, I hope yours pops bangs fizzes and whistles. I have the day off and zero plans, how sad is that?

And Cathy is retired. Jean and Brittany had a trip to Texas, anyone know how that went? Congrats Cat.

And Jeff is returned from across the pond, anyone know how that went? Never mind I saw the pictures on fb, it went great. There were smiles all around. Jeff you look just like a grandpa should.

My call center moves to downtown Seattle around the last week of August -- official. So I'm busy learning the intricacies, challenges, complications, and advantages of van pooling. The county will provide a van under certain conditions. I think it's a good idea, an adventure, and a learning curve, but I'm not sure I'm going to do it. Still pondering.

I read somewhere, now I can't remember where (it figures) that when you get to my age life is a sporting event. Old people are gymnasts; just to climb stairs, get on a bus, or tie their shoes is a sporting event. I am not a medalist.

After weeks and weeks of mediocre movies I have had a rash of excellent movies recently, and yes, I am going to tell you about each one. Pay close attention to all of them except for maybe the French one Man on the Train and the indie Smiling Fish and Goat on Fire, but all the rest put on Netflix, instant play, Starz, On Demand or what ever all the cable junkies out there have to watch movies on.

The Last Station, about Tolstoy and his shrill wife at the end of his life. He wants to give a portion of his fortune away, she is horrified. Both Christopher Plummer and Helen Mirrens were deservedly nominated for an Academy Award.

Nothing But The Truth, about a reporter who outs a CIA agent and goes to jail rather than reveal her source. Surprisingly good acting by some relative light weights. I was amazed at how much I cared about the out come. Sucked me right in to the ethical, political and emotional drama. And didn't preach, both sides of the conflict had excellent representation for their position.

Man on the Train, a soft quiet French film about two men who sort of imagine themselves living the other man's life. It was so good and so different and so interesting and such good acting. A real joy.

Pirate Radio, about when rock music was not allowed in the United Kingdom so rock radio stations were on ships out in the North Sea out of UK jurisdiction. I don't even like sixties music but this movie was so funny and irreverent and full of energy and innuendo that I couldn't believe how good it was. And in deleted scenes there is one about "saying a word" on live radio that is worth renting the DVD for alone. If you don't laugh during this one, well, something is wrong somewhere. Enough penis and condom jokes to last me for a long long time. And Bill Nighy -- perfect.

The Fall, Roger Ebert had rave reviews for this film way back when, and yet there was something about fantasy story telling between a hospitalized movie stuntman and a little girl that just didn't tick my clock, so I couldn't bring myself to rent it. I don't remember why I finally did, but oh my oh my it is fantastic. The fantasy story that grows between the man and the little girl is beyond incredible and the director didn't use green screen or CGI or other movie dircting tricks to get his shots. They are REAL. He went to something like twenty-eight countries. If you saw the film Baraka (that I recommended two years ago -- the non-verbal film) you will see some of those same locations. Hey Cathy/Brittany remember the monkey chant in Baraka, well it's in this movie also. Yes, Monkey Chant!

Smiling Fish and Goat on Fire, not really a great movie and really really dated, food workers without plastic gloves sort of dated, but for a small cheap independent film it was quite good. Two brothers one stiff one loose, an accountant and an actor, need I say more, and a slice of LA life in the late ninties. After all the bad movies I've watched lately it was just an enjoyable little film.

Jerry, the title of the Anarticia film I mentioned during your whale kayaking trip was Encounters at the End of the World by Werner Herzog who is always odd.

Now back to you.

Life is not always a good review.

Invictus, how could I forget Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon? Another excellent film

No comments:

Post a Comment