Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fun

Fun?

The universe keeps telling me to have fun. I saw a billboard that said "Eat right, Be active, Have fun" and then a second billboard that said "Remember to have some fun today."

Fun? I've been feeling more sad then gay lately, but a few fun things have crept in anyway. Ian and I carpooled to work one day. That made me foolishly happy for some reason. You know you live a little tiny life when carpooling with your son makes your day happy. There I was dropped off and picked up at the buildings front door. I didn't have to street walk at 4:30 am.

Yesterday I had lunch with Jo-Anne and today I had breakfast with Claire. Fun? Well, if not fun it was certainly pleasing. Good friends, good comforting conversation, good connection to other human beings.

Ian and I were grocery shopping at 11 pm last night. Definitely different. I should have been in bed and sound asleep, but there we were getting the good bargains one hour before they were over, fun, well okay, I guess so.

I saw FW Murnau's 1924 German silent film The Last Laugh -- very different.

I had a Trophy Cupcake. I keep looking for a fried pie shop like the one in OKC. I haven't found one yet, but it's fun looking.

It's a miracle not being dead, that's fun.

The family has been contacted by Ray Mclain. I have been getting FB contacts and emails from him and it's been fun and more than a little nostalgic. We started first grade together about 60 years ago, we are both reminiscing about Pleasant Hill. He sounds really really smart and funny and musical and busy and interesting. He wrote a paper on the magnetic component of gravity. How's that for fun? Shall I tell him I've been busy clipping my toenails?

He told me a sweet story about his mother who passed away 43 years ago:

"A neighbor had plans to develop some of her property East of us. She wanted to widen the road in by ripping out all our cedars and pines down the North end of the yard. She said to Mom, "You wouldn't let trees stand in the way of progress, would you?" Mom's unforgettable retort that ended the conversation was: "As far as I'm concerned, in Oklahoma trees are progress!""

The nostalgia has been fun: Pleasant Hill, walking to and fro the mile and one quarter in all weathers. Miss Freed. Miss Clifford. Mr and Mrs Green. Mom. Barns. Bonfires. Hay. Crawdads. Gardens. Pigs. Skyview Theater, Springlake Amusement Park. Four Corners. Orchards and wormy peaches.

Where I am on the space/time continuum is okay. I'm not fighting my future, my lot in life, change. I'm not mad at family, bosses, migrants, neighbors, friends, technology, religion. I've quit wondering how I became such a doofus -- that's fun.

After all the deaths I've been touched by lately a fellow colleague told me to go home and tell all three of my sons that I loved them. Little did he know my passion for my sons. Now that is fun.

What ever the universe tells you to do today -- mind -- except for the be active part.

No comments:

Post a Comment