Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Conversations With Connor

Granny, you are fat. Fat ladies are going to have babies.
No, Connor, I'm not going to have a baby.
Granny are you just fat?

Granny, you lost a baby tooth.
No, Connor, I just lost a tooth.
Well brush them.

At day care I didn't park where daddy parks.
I didn't tighten his seat belt enough.
I put the wrong weapons with the wrong super hero's.
I didn't know the super powers of said super hero's.
I didn't know the furry character from Star Wars.
He told me it absolutely wasn't Chewbacca or Ewok.
I didn't know the green guy from Star Wars either.
Or the guy with the white face.
I actually sucked at Star Wars.
Took the wrong snack in the snack tin.
The fruit gel pack was okay.
The high protein nut and fruit package was not okay.
Why didn't you bring Gummy Bears?
I'm going to the park.
No, we aren't going to the park.
I know the way.
I watched all exits for a while.
I didn't kill the spider.
Every Lego piece I selected to build my snowmobile was just exactly the one he needed to build his surfboard. I need that, he said, and it disappeared out of my fingers. Somehow his surfboard became a motorcycle carrier and I was too dumb to know the difference.
I mistook the Lego policeman for a bad guy.
I didn't now how to play the "Ninja Turtle 'What do you want to eat game.'" I forgot they always eat pizza and say "cowabunga".
Did you remember that?
I finally convinced him the Ninja Turtles had names and we spent the rest of the evening with him telling me their names -- over and over and over and over until I finally had it right.

The elephant shaped water pouch Ian sent over for Connor, Roger turned into a water squirting device. Not my fault Stephanie.

I've always figured I had turtle animal energy as my personal spirit animal. Now, I'm trying to figure out Connor's animal. Whew, not easy. Roger has always been a fox in my mind. Christian a jaguar. Ian a dolphin. Stephanie an antelope. Bo I think is a dragonfly. Now, Connor? What would Connor be? Surely some kind of monkey. Or octopus.

While I was drifting around thinking about animals I tagged a few of my other family members. Brittany an Owl. Jordan a Golden Marmoset. Jason a Wolverine. Josephine a porcupine. Now Jerry, would he be a bull elephant, a walrus or a buffalo? Janice definitely a panda bear. Jean a wolf. Julia a hummingbird. Jeff a coyote. This is fun, I might continue to play.

I've noticed since marijuana is now legal in Washington it can be smoked in public. Cigarette smokers, however, need to hide in corners or behind buildings. I guess I will continue to lurk in alleyways.

I was reading an interview with Joss Whedon and he talked about how he divides people into two groups. He has noticed how people will either connect or distance themselves to others. Now that is a profound thought. Do we connect or distance ourselves to others.

I think we need to reach out and connect, connect, connect. Connect via email, calls, letters, Facebook, invites, parties, cards, texts, get togethers, reunions -- it isn't always easy to stay connected, to keep reaching out. Yet we have so many more ways and means now a days than days of yore -- I hate to use the over used word channels, but the truth is the truth whether I like the word or not.

I guess I will have my spirit animal contact your spirit animal and connect.

Jeff says he is only bringing a suitcase, chairs, the goodie box, hot dog skewers, Vienna Sausages, booze, his cast iron dutch oven, an axe and his charcol fire starter to the family reunion next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment