Friday, January 22, 2010

2008 Birthday Dinner

Lynn took me out for my 2008 birthday dinner last night, we went for the first seating at five o'clock and had the equivalent of The Palisades Happy Meal -- made me happy.

All day I had been admiring the photo I had put on my desk top of Connor eating his birthday cupcake with a big ole' smile among the crumbs on his face. Every time I looked at it I smiled, just couldn't help myself, and thought how happy he looked, and that will be me eating at The Palisades.

I was not disappointed, from the grand piano cantilevered above everything to the Puget Sound tide pools burbling throughout . The brie, coffee, 240 degree view, the lights of the city twinkling, the ferry boats plying their waterways; it was beautiful, delicious, and the service was divine. Oh, sorry, the warm, macadamia encrusted with a passionfruit honey and balsamic vinegar sauce served with Washington sliced apples and warm bread -- brie. Need I say more.

Lynn's acts of love have always been gifts, everything from the little bitty turtles she had someone bring me from Japan to our grand dinner last night. One of the first gifts she brought me when I gave her a bed to sleep in many many years ago was a three foot stalk of brussel spouts.


What I really want to talk about is acts of love; The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. Have you read that? They are...

Words of affirmation
Quality time
Gifts
Acts of service
Physical touch

I lose sight of that sometimes, how people tell me they love me, and how I tell them. My biggest love language is words of affirmation. I listen see observe and respond praise and admire. I love affirming intelligence, talent, grace, skill, merit, joy, development, whatever.

One time when Ian was approaching grown-up status, I don't know 14 15 16, or there about, he asked me to critique a drawing of his. I did, and I hurt his feelings. He said, "I thought you would like it." I apologized and explained that I had made a mistake, I thought he truly wanted a critique and what he really wanted was praise. Well, duh, yeah!

Love languages are hard to interpret sometimes. I failed then, have failed since, and will fail in the future, but today, right now I understand. Now I'm going to go eat my leftovers, sadly there is no leftover brie, I ate it all last night.

Thanks Lynn.

No comments:

Post a Comment