Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mental Entertainment

Mental Entertainment: or who knows what lurks in the mind of Jan.

Things I have thought about this week:
Snippet of conversation overheard on the elevator: "electric flu on a memory stick" I'm still pondering that.

And how do elevator doors work? How do they know when to open and when to close?

Which is more important.
Morals: define personal character.
Ethics: define the standards of behavior expected by a group.

Vacation? Mark mentioned "vacation" in his post: So, question: where does the word vacation come from. Answer: William the Conqueror, yes that William the Conqueror. It was first used as an idea for when WTC closed law courts and universities for the summer. First used as a word sometime in the 17th century, I forget when. It was used for when the upper-class moved to their summer homes and left their homes vacant. From the Latin root word freedom. Now that was an idea worth preserving for several centuries.

Oh, the magic of Wikipedia. The magic of the Internet.

Things I do:
I will sign any petition, even ones I don't agree with, because I do believe that people have the right to vote on it.

Things I saw:
Written in the dust on a dingy car, "Please, I am not a dirty girl." And "This car also comes in blue." The car was very dirty.

Things I want:
I am lusting after Roger's new computer. Some big wazoo Apple thing that is a work of art. Big bold and beautiful. Commanding as it sat on his home office desk. I wouldn't know how to turn it on but it sure turned me on. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to lust.

Things to look at on Onlineshoes.com:
Kila in Gold, item #263295 by Report
Arabesque, item #284582 by Matisse
Pasadena, item #262200 by Carlos Santana
Gypsy Owl, item #263874 by Chooka, that one is for you Nora
Pamela, item #261604 by J Renee

Things I don't know:
Who is Dewey of the Dewey Decimal System? Which is based on Subsumptive Containment Hierachy theories. Huh? The pecking order calms a flock of chickens, so what will it do for man?
Magic again.

Things I know:
Ian turned 27 and I remember 27 as being a magical year. One of the best ages to be.
The best age for childhood is 9.
Age 50 was a pretty grand year also.
I'm still studying what will be the best age of being a senior citizen. I think I will vote for next year -- just to keep them coming.

I know what a third cousin once removed is; that's Avery's relationship to Connor.

I know subduction is a great word. Look out worlds you are about to collide, maybe, if the theory holds true.

Things that changed:
I remember when women used to give each other home permanents.

Things I learned:
I now know now what a bialy is.

Things I am going to think about:
What puts my teeth on edge?
What do you do with Swiss chard?
I'll be pissed off IF ___?

Things people hate:
Change, republicans, Democrats, illegal immigrants, welfare, bad drivers, too much sun, too little sun; actually everything in the world is hated by someone somewhere in the world, from artichokes to presidents to whales and zebras -- even to me -- to someone -- occasionally.

Things I promise:
If you want to be my guest in Seattle I will be happy to drive down the wrong side of the road for you too.

I know, I know I'm so low-class, but these are some of the things that entertained, intrigued or informed me this last week.

No wonder I don't sleep.

2 comments:

  1. I can't decide which of the things I like the best within this post.

    Love your thought process, its so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to do anything special for us when we visit, the correct side of the road will do just fine.

    ReplyDelete