Thursday, January 12, 2012

All I Know Is What I Read

The snowy owl population is drifting down into the Pacific Northwest. Experts think it is because there was a bumper crop of lemmings in Alaska, which produced a bumper crop of snowy owls, which then in turn didn't have enough habitat, so some migrated south looking for rodents. Well there are a lot of rats in the Seattle area so happy hunting. I'm trying to tempt Julia with her love of bird watching and Nora with her love of Harry Potter to come for a look see. Anybody else love Harry Potter enough to come see the snowy owls?

Just when I was going to brag over the lack of ice, snow, wind, rain, drizzle, floods, or heat for that matter, the cold wind blew in with the sunny skies and the brilliant view of the mountains. Only in Seattle when the sun comes out does the temperature drop. Thirty and frosty last night and snow on the way, on my drive days of course. Oh, well what would winter be with out a little cold wind? I think I just invited you to leave your refrigerator and come visit mine.

I read in the newspaper that all the foods I eat to be healthy are bad for me; Baaad fooods: canned tomatoes, root vegetables, fish, milk and I forget what all else. Then I heard the habits of people who never get sick: eat dirt, take cold showers, wash your hands -- a lot, eat plants not animals, eat raw as much as possible. It was all a little too much for this feeble brain to take in so I think I will stay with the habits I have. It is a crap shoot anyway, isn't it? I'll concentrate on snowy owls instead.

And I will concentrate on book club. Book club was warm and wonderful as always. We missed Sandy, who had had a bad day, and Claire who wound up in the emergency room because of oxygen levels. No, she didn't want me to come down or drive her home. Those of us there talked kids, books, movies, crafts, snowy owls, those not there, and sundry other topics. If you aren't in a book club I recommend you start one or join one. It is one of my biggest joys. Book clubs are a comfort.

Claire wound up at emergency after she went to the doctor yesterday to get the results of her PET scan from last week. The good news is she is still cancer free.

My little chef friend Amanda and her husband, Paul, are having a pie party on Monday Jan 23 because it is National Pie Day. They will be making the pizza pie and everyone else is to bring a pie to share. Now isn't that a nifty idea? Getting me out after dark and after I have already come home is a lot like pulling a slug off a rock, but I hope I go. I told her there was an 83% chance I would be there with pie in hand. She told me even if I didn't come she would still refresh my coffee on Tuesday morning like she does most mornings. She had a nice Facebook post lately: Vow to stay positive. Okay, will do.

Since today is playdate with Connor I will get to see how he is getting along with the monster toy I got him for his birthday. See if he thinks it is scary...

I was watching a preview and heard the phrase "best day ever" that got me to thinking about my best day ever. I remembered one from my teen years, a day at Springlake Amusement park swimming pool. It felt like a perfect day and in my youthful ignorance I thought it could be repeated. I can't remember now why I thought it was so satisfying, but I remember I did. A combination of weather, friends, social, a bit of that "touching eternity" feeling. How good it felt to be alive that day, how good life was, how good I was. Nope, I don't remember the particulars but I sure remember the day. Well, the feeling of the day.

On reflection I think it is that "touching eternity" feeling; Like when the children are born and laying on your stomach, like the weekend of Janice's 60th birthday and everything happening with grace, a midnight drive across America and seeing the billions and billions of stars all where they should be. Touching eternity.

Life has fears, hopes, loves, snowy owls and eternity -- to quote Jerry -- Life is Good.

I tried to post a photograph, but alas failed, so check out one of the pictures of the snowy owl. Almost too beautiful to be true.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/136878633.html

No comments:

Post a Comment