Thursday, January 5, 2012

It Feels Like a Birthday-ish Sort of Day

Yes, it feels like a birthday-ish sort of day.

Will I ever forget the summer mom was in the hospital, I must have been about eight or ten years old, and Jean baked a pineapple upside down cake for my birthday. We kids consumed that so fast that I was left feeling like I had had no birthday cake at all, so Jean, being the good sister/person that she is made a second one for us all to consume equally fast. It is still my best birthday cake ever, until she repeated it on my sixtieth B-Day. No, the childhood one wins because of the warm feelings of love that still linger. Can't wash that feeling away.

Julia remembers not one but two Cinderella cakes from mom.
Jeff had a corvette cake.
Marc had a Pillsbury Doughboy cake.
Mom did have some talent with out many resources.

And Julia how many Panda Wagon cakes did you make for all your nieces and nephews? Did your children ever get one?

One year I asked Roger what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday and he said he wanted a cowboy standing up swinging a rope. He didn't get that cake. But one year we did plan a Hobbit birthday party and only those kids who had read the book knew that meant they would be getting gifts instead of giving them. Janice put two twelve inch candles and a giraffe on Rogers second birthday cake, yes I still have the candles and giraffe. It was simple yet striking looking.

Ian had a block party for his first birthday. All the neighborhood children were so invested in his arrival that I felt I owed it to them. I made four cakes and iced them as one big sheet cake. Ian had toddled in that morning and pinched a corner off so I left that part un-iced just for the shear joy of seeing that pinched off corner. Another year I let Ian pick a picture of any birthday cake out of his children's books. Did you ever try to match a cartoon drawing in real life? It seems like it had jelly beans on top and teddy bear cookies around the edge. It turned out pretty good even if I do say so myself.

Jean, again, made Roger a strawberry birthday one year: strawberry waffles and I can't remember what else, but I still have some pictures.

I think it was Jean's fiftieth birthday that I made the triple layer cheesecake with raspberry topping and espresso glaze, before any of us even knew what espresso was probably.

Debbie used to always get those wonderful Dairy Queen ice cream cakes for Summer's summer birthdays. I don't remember if she did it for Jason also.

I don't remember the cake but I sure remember Christian's G.I Joe birthday party. I sent the invitations like a military draft notice: Greeting, you have been selected...

Draft notice; if you remember those you date yourself.

It took me, dad, and Jeff to pull that one off. Jeff did a boot camp and performed as the drill Sargent. All those boys thrilling to hear him yell at them and call them "girls" as he put them through the paces. If I didn't say it then then I am saying it now -- Thanks Jeff.

Now Connor is a big three years old today. His first birthday was the vegan Fire Engine, a work of art. His second birthday was pirate themed with cupcakes. This year will be his first invitation party at the Children's Museum Imaginarium in Everett this weekend. This evening will be a simpler family get together. Ian found the greatest toy at Toys R Us when we went shopping. A $100.00 toy for $30.00, I love it that Connor's birthday is after Christmas. It is a Fisher-Price Big Foot Monster that walks, talks, rolls, growls, and laughs, but I don't think it farts like his Christmas fire engine.

And life goes on. I have had a busy week getting caught up with friends: Lunch with Karmen, coffee with Jo-Anne, Dinner with Mary, coffee with Carol. Good friends all. Today before Connor's get together I will be with Claire as she has her first post-cancer PET scan. Just to make sure no little cancerous cells are lurking anywhere.

Book club is Wednesday. Yes, life goes on.

On my last post I commented that my friend asked which movie Roger and Stephanie were going to see on New Years Eve, I can now report it was the new remake of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

I watched a new great film, not to be confused with any good film; a French spy movie called Farewell, it was so so good I highly recommend it. French, American and Russian spy's based on fairly recent occurrences. Yeah right, I don't often trust those based on actual events claims, but the movie was worthy.

I also re watched another worthy movie; Amazing Grace. I had forgotten how much grace it did have. This movie falls under the heading of good, not great.

Roger did the polar bear plunge and the marathon run. He is pumped for 2012. Julia are you running yet?

I will leave you with a final tidbit copied from Karmen's Facebook post, I just liked it:


Love to one and all and happy birthday to whom ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment