Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanks For Everything

Embarking on my 51st thanksgiving holiday has me thinking about my earliest recollection of thanksgivings past. My earliest memories of thanksgiving are not that early. That is, I don’t seem to have the same vivid memories of my 5th thanksgiving like I do of my 5th Christmas (on which I received a really cool building set consisting of hundreds of tiny geometric shaped magnetic pieces that could be arranged in all sorts of imaginative patterns on a metal plate). I remember playing with that toy for hours on the cold red painted concrete floor of the tract house we lived at in1963 …Thanksgiving1963 -- not so much.

I guess my earliest recollections of Thanksgiving are really just a hodgepodge of different separate memories. They include pumpkins, pilgrim hats, and turkeys created using scissors, construction paper, and globs of sweet smelling white paste; family gatherings with aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents; college football games actually played on Thanksgiving day and not the day after; Dad’s dressing that, given its mottled green color, may have had a bit more sage than it needed (but dad loved sage); turkeys, hams, yams, brown n serve rolls, relish trays, cranberry sauce – both kinds, grandma’s orange shredded carrot/celery Jell-O salad, and every dessert you can imagine – my favorite being Mom’s fruit cocktail cake (which contains so much sugar that it baked up caramel colored). I also remember the afternoon naps that followed dinner and the evening naps that followed the consumption of leftovers -- little was known in those days about tryptophan, we just thought we were extra tired because we had eaten so much.

From my past lives (a term I use to describe the separate phases of my life) to the present, my thanksgiving roles have traversed the spectrum. I’ve gone from visiting son to visiting son-in-law, to visiting grandson-in-law, to patriarch, back to visiting son-in-law, to host, and finally to restaurant patron. I, like all of us here, have been blessed throughout this time to always have a place to go for thanksgiving dinner, which in these tough times, should not be taken for granted.

So I get to my point, after rambling and reminiscing so much about the past, that we are all very blessed. As for me, I am thankful for all I have this thanksgiving, as it is not that inconceivable that instead of being here, I might have merely been dust -- if not for a twist of fate (thanks again Marc). Instead, I have a full life with children and parents, and brothers and sisters, and pets and friends. I have a great job with promising prospects and enough money to provide my family’s every need and most of their wants (not all though -- since I have a teenage daughter who can fill an internet shopping basket to infinity in less time than it takes to carve a turkey). I have time with my true love to look back on the past, enjoy the present, and ponder the future, with maybe a bit left over to make a fruit cocktail cake. And most of all I am blessed because I realize that all of these things come from my Lord, who is always with me.

Hope it’s the same for you and I hope all are well and stay that way. Mark (also for ATH &B)

No comments:

Post a Comment