Friday, November 26, 2010

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

I woke up this morning at 3 AM to the sound of gentle rain and melting snow and a balmy 40 degrees. My bedroom window is back to wide open. Does it get any better than that?

The twenty-six mile commute on ice and snow is over. The detour around the four semi-truck accident on I-5 is over. Thanksgiving is over. Ian's blown engine is still under discussion.

Yesterday I had the tiniest Thanksgiving gathering I have ever had. Ian and I cooked for two days for our guest -- Christian. We ate good, talked long, vied for Tiki's attention and enjoyed the day to the max. Next year I think I will just hand the cooking reins over to Ian, he is becoming so expert, up to and including the last, last minute emergency stop for cranberry sauce that his aging mother forgot on her emergency, last minute, final stop at the store. Roger, Stephanie and Connor spent the day with the Fortner's, and Claire didn't want to brave the streets after her long day at AAA helping driver's in distress. She said every person who called in was kind, patient and apologized for bothering her on Thanksgiving Day. People can be amazing.

Today Roger and Connor are coming over to work/play. He promised to help me get my storage room sorted out. Stephanie is working. Ian is definitely working this black Friday. Christian says he will show up at work but doesn't expect much activity. Me, I have the day off, but will be working cyberMonday. I expect Onlineshoes will be busy on cyber Monday.

Tomorrow isn't here yet but my plan is to remember to continue to be thankful for family, friends, work, weather, strangers who drive trucks and have accidents during unruly highway conditions. I want to be especially thankful to all those truck drivers who managed to get cranberry sauce delivered to forgetful old ladies grocery stores. For a while, Tal, you may be as sassy as you want to the rest of us. I'm thankful for hospitals who get their patients taken care of. I'm thankful for toilets and lights and heat that continue to make my home a pleasant safe haven. I'm thankful my family all have safe havens of there own, that they are moderately healthy, they, also, may continue to be as sassy as they want, for a while.

Today I am particularly thankful for Roger hauling boxes, Ian's cooking, and Christian scouring the state for used engines. I'm thankful for my sons who contribute so generously to making my life something to be thankful for.

Now, Julia, I loved your blog and I'm thankful for that, but where is that Corn Frito Salad recipe?

1 comment:

  1. related to the balmy 40 degree, I had several chuckles as this southern Calif child had automatic thoughts of now nice that it was warm again - then realized it was only 41 or 42 - would never imagine my perspective would shift so much

    ReplyDelete