Friday, September 16, 2011

Spoiled, Blessed or Pathetic

Practically every morning Amanda freshens my cup of coffee when she gets in. Practically every morning! Beautiful Amanda.

James and I were talking books the other day and he mentioned the phrase "Steampunk," naturally I asked him what Speampunk was. When he identified the genre I said I've been reading Steampunk and didn't even know it. Next morning there on my desk was a Steampunk book he thought I might enjoy. Beautiful James.

Jacquie returned from her vacation with treats for the office while I was on my days off. She didn't want me to miss out on the Hawaiian treats which she knew would be gone by the time I came back, so she hid some, just for me. Beautiful Jacquie.

Several years ago we filled out a questionnaire at work: favorite movie, favorite quote, favorite candy, favorite color, favorite song -- stuff like that. At the time I listed "Circus Peanuts" as my favorite candy. Karla didn't know what circus peanuts were so she brought me some spectacular gourmet roasted peanuts. In return I bought her a bag of the Brach's Circus Peanut candy, my how she got a laugh out of how wrong she was. This Tuesday she brought me circus peanuts just because she had found a bag of, of course, gourmet circus peanuts candy. Let me tell you they were gourmet-ish good. I swear my boss, Karla, could find gourmet ice. Beautiful Karla.

And the list never ends. Nora and Julia got me Gladys. Jerry and Jane a plane ticket, Marc arranged for a car, Roger bought me a car, Christian is the guardian Angel of my car. Yesterday when the warning light came on Christian had me back in the saddle for $78.93. And Ian helps in all ways. Beautiful.

So am I spoiled, blessed or pathetic?

I have reached the age that at work they call me Mz Jan.
Spoiled or pathetic?

Ponder this:

Poor spellers: Yeats, Shaw
Poor mathematicians: Franklin, Picasso, Adler, Jung
Poor students and expelled from school: Dali, Poe, Shelby, Whistler
Bottom of the class: Edison
Dull and inept: Watt
Dreamer: Gauguin
Mentally slow: Einstein
Jack London was told he couldn't write
Picasso that he couldn't paint

Poem:

The Boat Ride

Mighty Jupiter
Cried two tears
Neptune hailed a boat
Mercury lent wings of flight
'Tended for speed and delight

The Muses giggled
Jobs forgot
Venus loved it
Mars did not

Sailing on Jupiter's Tears


I know, I know not as good as Mark's.

Here is a better one:
Not better than Mark's just better than The Boat Ride.

Moments

It's not about me
It's about moments
A bigger center
Room for more stories
More heartbeats
Wide angle
Life rushing in
Encompassing
Embracing
There's power
In yielding
Me.


Me thinks that is the end of the Taylor Family Poetry Saga.

Now that my car is fixed I'm off for a haircut, pedi, and maybe a few groceries.

Sail away to a glorious day. Beautiful family.

2 comments:

  1. You're certainly the first two! As well you should be. And we are also very blessed to have you. I'm going to hug you extra hard when I see you at greenleaf.

    And please do not stop writing poetry, yours are lovely and always thought provoking-- if there was a Mz. Jan fan club, i'd be the president. Hey, there's an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc, I'll never give up writing poetry, just stop the emphasis on the blog, that's all.

    ReplyDelete