Thursday, December 24, 2009

Remembrances of Things Past and Present

Josephine used to scare the gee-willerkers out of me when we walked home down Coltrane. Anybody stop to ask if we wanted a ride and she hopped into the car. And I do mean anybody. Cocking her head and charging life Josephine is fearless.

Jean made more ruffly plaid school dresses for Julia and I than I can remember. I'm sorry Jean when I ripped twenty feet of ruffle off the bottom of my dress - chasing boys I suppose. Jean was always there; smiling, working, helping, cooking, canning and sewing -- no wonder we all call you the perfect child. Jean is dependable.

Janice was always smarter than me. As I wandered aimlessly though high school and all those sweet teachers treated me like royalty when they found out I was her younger sister, well, royally for a while, until they learned the true differences between us. Janice is smart and elegantly sharp.

Jerry was reliable, ready with a hand or hand-out what ever the case called for. Mom and Dad relied on him for so much of the outside work. I never had to "suit up" and break ice on the cow tank or do other chores at the crack of dawn. Jerry helped in every disaster, crisis or tragedy. Jerry is reliable.

Julia was focused, I don't care if it was driving to California, balancing columns of numbers, learning photography, stitching a wall hanging, lighting a play at the Theater Center, or baby proofing a house the end result was near perfection. Julia is focused.

James was original. When mother asked him to serve the group of us sitting around the kitchen table he put the soup in one big bowl and handed out six spoons. He sold Tootsie Roll Pops at the grade school ball games for a profit. Selling peeks of his naked girlfriend, neglecting to tell all those randy friends she was three years old. James was original.

Jeff, besides being the baby and always a good Samaritan, was the witty one. The one who made us laugh with his super quick story telling wit. The police saga with the walker arounder and the fence leaner. The truck saga and who ever the crazy guy was he used to work for. The cojones saga, my favorite story to this day: "My cojones are just big enough to fill my britches, I don't need a wagon to haul them around in." Jeff is the wit.

Me? Besides being the artist, the crazy one, and the weirdo only you guys know.

Enjoy the day.
Enjoy the food.
Enjoy the family.
Enjoy the love coming at you.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment