Thursday, December 17, 2009

Today Was A Good Day

I slept in till after five and woke up with a clear conscious that all my mundane maintenance stuff was done: groceries were bought, laundry was done, bills were paid and I could play the day away.

I finished my Christmas cards, watched an entertaining movie, (The Mambo Kings) got dressed and waited for my friend Mary to arrive. Then we drove north to Silvana where we met our friend Carol for breakfast at a sweet country cafe, Willow and Jim's. Silvana had one meat market, one mercantile store and one cafe. The breakfast was good in that country breakfast sort of way. Every old guy entering knew every old guy leaving and they had a Skagit Valley farmer look about them. Like I would know what a Skagit Valley farmer looks like. The clues were pretty thin, John Deer caps, pick-up trucks and fallow fields all around, for all I know they were Ford salesmen from Arlington.

Carol drove down from Bellingham where she has been staying with her father who is on hospice care. We talked, laughed, shared, cried a little, and drank way too much coffee until we had to go our separate directions.

I arrived home in time for a quick twenty-two minute snooze and off for a play day with The Connorman. Connor and I chased each other around the ottoman for a goodly portion of the afternoon. He giggled and I gasped. I had a private viewing of all the photographs of Connor at the Seattle Yacht Club Christmas party, he couldn't have been cuter, all big eyes and observation checking out the world in typical Taylorman fashion.

Ian made cookies.

Today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment