Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Singing Frogs

How did springtime happen in February? The frogs woke and started singing, the birds are singing, the flowers are singing, there are frogs, birds and flowers everywhere. It was a February beyond belief; gorgeous, mild, gentle, just the right combination of sun, rain, fog and frogs -- and then the full moon to kiss February goodbye. And here we are.

In the midst of a glorious spring.

People, well some people, are jogging, walking, strolling, running and embracing the days. Me, I went to see Avatar with Ian on the big IMAX 3D screen. Now that was a pop culture experience I don't ever need to do again.

The Pop Culture Experience says more about me than the experience. It was fine, I'm just getting older and it's not as fun as it was ten, fifteen, twenty, years ago. Avatar belongs to a different generation, along with Harry Potter and Twilight. The Beatles and The Exorcist belong to my generation and I suppose John Travolta and Saturday Night Fever belongs to a different generation. To each generation his own pop experience is what I say. 3D has come a long way, remember those little saran wrap glasses from bygone ages.

I wouldn't have missed the experience for anything. The movie is getting mega reviews, but my style of intense drama would be The Hurt Locker. Quieter, more intense, more developed characters, but not nearly the bang for your buck that Avatar brings. It did have a lovely love story and then the action, LOTS OF ACTION. Action along the lines of video games, which I don't do either. Just too damn old.

Like my doctor said. OLD.

So far all those maintenance tests he requested are coming out healthy. How the heck did that happen? I don't want to live until I'm eighty-six years old. It's puzzling, like frogs waking up and singing in February.

I talked to Kathy for about sixty seconds on her birthday. She said she would email me her itinerary, but so far zilch from Texas. When I know I will let you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment