Monday, March 29, 2010

Story Tellers

It seems as though all my favorite people are story tellers. A lady at work told me she went to the Fifth Avenue Theater and saw Our Town.

Where is the story?

I would have told you about the ride downtown, where we parked, who I bumped into on the way, and the thrill of going to the theater. I would comment on the sets, lights, acting, how the production made me feel, and what we ate on the way home, in other words a story.

Story tellers set the stage, give you the background, tells you the story, produces a climax and a denouement, and sometimes even suggest a metaphor and moral. Yeah, that's what I like -- a story.

Life isn't always a painted toenail.

Since I have gone two weeks without smoking I needed, really needed, the Mood Booster class:

Did you know the three top mood lifters are water, sun, and stretching. Water as in going to...
Other mood lifters are:

being artsy
smiling or laughing
completing a task you have been putting off
taking a shower
going outside, or even just opening a window
taking a nap
eating

Eat as in:
needing to send a message to your brain -- whole grains
need motivation -- turkey, chicken
feeling fatigued -- water
irritable or poor memory -- bananas
feeling down -- oranges, grapefruit
anxious, or need more energy -- seafood
need a boost -- chillies are a natural high

So, they were offering a Mood Booster class at work and I signed up because it was time off the phone and I love the trainer. I tripped walking into class but didn't fall all the way down, tripping was embarrassing enough and set my mood slightly lower than it might have been other wise. And lo, who do I see sitting in MY CLASS but MY BOSS. Who knew she needed a boost to her mood? Sometimes you can't judge a taco by it's tortilla. Amanda did a great job of interweaving different medias so interest never lagged, nor did the sleepies set in as sometimes happens at meetings of other sorts, and she fed us: whole wheat bagels, bananas, oranges, and cereal and milk.

I was amazed at what I learned about control over my own moods. Damn, just flashing a different color changed me in slightly different ways.

The moral: Ain't life amazingly buoyant.

No comments:

Post a Comment